The 2014 Swim Season at Chicago Beaches is closed.
This Rogers Park beach offers visitors a chance to relax on the sandy shores of Lake Michigan or get active at the beach.
Limited street parking
The following public bus & train routes serve this beach:
CTA Red Line Station:
Please follow the rules while you’re at the beach:
- Swim only when lifeguards are on duty.
- Follow lifeguards’ instructions.
- Only Coast Guard approved flotation devices are permitted.
- No smoking.
- No alcohol.
- No dogs on the beach.
- Do not feed birds or wildlife.
- Dispose of trash and recycling in appropriate containers.
- Grill in designated areas only and dispose of coals in red barrels.
- Keep accessible beach walks clear. No bicycling, skateboarding or rollerblading is permitted in these areas.
- There is no paddle or board sport access to the Lake Michigan Water Trail at Fargo Beach. For information on beaches with launch points for accessing the Lake Michigan Water Trail, visit the rules page.
Fargo Street and its namesake beach are named for James C. Fargo, an active North Side real-estate developer. Born in Watervale, New York, at age 15, Fargo entered the business office of his brother, William G. Fargo, who ran an express-mail delivery service between Buffalo and Albany, New York, and another between Buffalo and Detroit, Michigan.
James Fargo moved west to run the Wells & Co. office in Detroit in 1847. In 1855, Fargo came to the Chicago office of the reorganized firm, by then called the American EYpress Company. In the meantime, William Fargo and his partner, Henry Wells, founded Wells, Fargo & Company to handle the banking and express needs of California Gold Rush entrepreneurs.
In 1867, Fargo returned to New York to become the general manager of American Express, but he never relinquished his Chicago ties.
Fargo Beach Park is one of 18 street-end beaches acquired by the Chicago Park District from the City of Chicago in 1959. By that time, the city's Bureau of Parks and Recreation had been operating these small municipal beaches since at least 1921.
Many of these beaches were located in the Rogers Park neighborhood, where a growing population of apartment dwellers lacked easy access to recreational opportunities. In contrast to the city's larger municipal beaches, the street-end beaches, though staffed by lifeguards, had no changing rooms or other facilities.