New in July 2013: Foster Beach offers free wifi for beach visitors.
This Lincoln Park beach offers many amenities including a beach house with food concessions, bike rentals and restrooms. A popular dog beach is also located at the northeast end of Foster Avenue Beach.
Pay & display parking lot
The following public bus & train routes serve this beach:
CTA Red Line Station:
Please follow the rules while you’re at the beach:
- Swim only when lifeguards are on duty.
- Follow lifeguards’ instructions.
- Only Coast Guard approved flotation devices are permitted.
- No smoking.
- No alcohol.
- Dogs are permitted only within the designated dog beach. Learn more about Chicago Park District Dog Friendly Areas.
- Do not feed birds or wildlife.
- Dispose of trash and recycling in appropriate containers.
- Grill in designated areas only and dispose of coals in red barrels.
- Keep accessible beach walks clear. No bicycling, skateboarding or rollerblading is permitted in these areas.
- Access to the Lake Michigan Water Trail for sports such as kayaking, canoeing and other non-motorized board or paddle sports is allowed at the north end of Foster Beach. For more information, go to the rules page and download information on Lake Michigan water trails.
- Kiteboarding is not permitted at Foster Beach; kiteboarding is ONLY permitted at Montrose Beach.
A surprising amount of what is now Lincoln Park is made from landfill. Lincoln Park’s final landfill extension was completed in the 1950s between Foster Avenue and Ardmore Avenue, and the fill included a new beach at Foster Avenue.
Planning and design for the extension started in 1947, but construction and fill did not begin until three years later. The fill project continued over the majority of the decade, and finally finished in 1958.
E.V Buchsbaum designed the beach house for the site, which was constructed between the late 1950s and early 1960s. In the 1990s, a new beach house provided improved facilities and amenities.
Foster Beach has an accessible beach walk, restrooms and parking.