The 2013 swim season has ended. Please continue to enjoy Chicago's lakefront parkland until the beaches open for swimming again on May 23, 2014.
Juneway Beach Park, the Chicago Park District’s northern most beach, sits in the Rogers Park neighborhood and offers beach goers an acre of passive parkland.
Limited street parking
The following public bus & train routes serve this beach:
CTA Bus Routes:
147 Outer Drive Express
CTA Red Line Station:
Please follow the rules while you’re at the beach:
- Swim only when lifeguards are on duty.
- Follow lifeguards’ instructions.
- Only Coast Guard approved flotation devices are permitted.
- No smoking.
- No alcohol.
- No dogs on the beach.
- Do not feed birds or wildlife.
- Dispose of trash and recycling in appropriate containers.
- Grill in designated areas only and dispose of coals in red barrels.
- Keep accessible beach walks clear. No bicycling, skateboarding or rollerblading is permitted in these areas.
- There is no paddle or board sport access to the Lake Michigan Water Trail at Juneway Beach. For information on beaches with launch points for accessing the Lake Michigan Water Trail, visit the rules page.
Juneway Street was named by Sivert Tobias Gunderson, a Norwegian who came to Chicago in 1848 and made his money trading grain and lumber. Gunderson and his offspring also became real-estate developers who subdivided the immediate area of the street and park. Apparently Gunderson chose the name Juneway because he started subdividing his property along the wayside of Calvary Cemetery in June.
The city's Bureau of Parks and Recreation had operated other small municipal beaches along Chicago's North Side since at least 1921. In 1959, The Chicago Park District acquired Juneway Beach Park from the City of Chicago as part of a “package” of 18 street-end beaches.
The city Bureau of Parks and Recreation used adjacent street names for identification purposes. As there is no earlier record of a public beach at Juneway Terrace, the site may have been a private beach prior to the Park District's acquisition.