The 2013 swim season has ended. Please continue to enjoy Chicago's lakefront parkland until the beaches open for swimming again on May 23, 2014.
George A. Lane Beach and Park offers beach-goers a chance to enjoy the shorelines of Lake Michigan while soaking in some rays or getting active during the summer. This Edgewater neighborhood park includes an ADA accessible, soft-surface playground for children to enjoy.
Limited street parking
The following public bus & train routes serve this beach:
CTA Red Line Station:
A playground is located on the west end of Lane Beach, at the corner of Thorndale and Sheridan.
For more amenities, see Osterman Beach
Lane Beach is connected to Osterman Beach to the south. Osterman Beach features a beach house with restrooms and concessions.
Please follow the rules while you’re at the beach:
- Swim only when lifeguards are on duty.
- Follow lifeguards’ instructions.
- Only Coast Guard approved flotation devices are permitted.
- No smoking.
- No alcohol.
- No dogs on the beach.
- Do not feed birds or wildlife.
- Dispose of trash and recycling in appropriate containers.
- Grill in designated areas only and dispose of coals in red barrels.
- Keep accessible beach walks clear. No bicycling, skateboarding or rollerblading is permitted in these areas.
- Access to the Lake Michigan Water Trail for sports such as kayaking, canoeing and other non-motorized board or paddle sports is allowed from Osterman Beach (located right next to Lane Beach) near the street end access of Ardmore or Thorndale. For more information, go to the rules page and download information on Lake Michigan water trails.
- Kiteboarding is not permitted at Lane Beach; kiteboarding is ONLY permitted at Montrose Beach.
Known for years as Thorndale Avenue Beach and Park, the park was renamed in May 1975 for George A. Lane (1903-1974), a community resident active in church/civic affairs, philanthropy and politics for more than 30 years.
Lane, a Chicago lawyer for 50 years, served as chief counsel to the Metropolitan Sanitary District and Democratic committeeman for the 49th Ward during the 1950s and 1960s. Lane also joined the faculty of Loyola University.
Lane Beach Park is one of 18 street-end beaches acquired by the Chicago Park District from the City of Chicago in 1959. By that time, the city's Bureau of Parks and Recreation had been operating such small municipal beaches since at least 1921. In contrast to the city's larger municipal beaches, the street-end beaches, though staffed by lifeguards, had no changing rooms or other facilities
Although the Lincoln Park Board had at one time contemplated expanding Lincoln Park north to Devon Avenue, the planned expansion never took place, and north Edgewater was left without easy access to Lincoln Park's spacious beaches. (Lincoln Park reached its present northern boundary of Ardmore Avenue in 1956.) Residents of the north Edgewater neighborhood welcomed the recreational outlet provided by Lane Beach and other small beaches.