Lynn Takata’s “Windform,” a 100-foot-long abstract concrete sculpture meant to represent the movement of the water, calls Loyola Beach home. The sculpture provides areas for patrons to sit and enjoy the lake, as well as slopes for children to climb and play on.
Beach house and restrooms
- Life guard first aid station
A playground is located just east of the Loyola Park field house.
Food and beverage
Crepes on the Beach
1230 W. Greenleaf
10 am - 8 pm
Loyola Beach features an accessible beach walk and accessible restrooms.
Please follow the rules while you’re at the beach:
- Swim only when lifeguards are on duty.
- Follow lifeguards’ instructions.
- Only Coast Guard approved flotation devices are permitted.
- No smoking.
- No alcohol.
- No dogs on the beach.
- Do not feed birds or wildlife.
- Dispose of trash and recycling in appropriate containers.
- Grill in designated areas only and dispose of coals in red barrels.
- Keep accessible beach walks clear. No bicycling, skateboarding or rollerblading is permitted in these areas.
- Access to the Lake Michigan Water Trail for sports such as kayaking, canoeing and other non-motorized board or paddle sports is allowed at Leone Beach, located directly north of Loyola Beach. For more information, go to the rules page and download information on Lake Michigan water trails.
- Kiteboarding is not permitted at Loyola Beach; kiteboarding is ONLY permitted at Montrose Beach.
Loyola Park was the sole park created by the North Shore Park District, one of 22 independent park boards consolidated into the Chicago Park District in 1934.
Unlike most of these park boards, the North Shore Park District, formed in 1900, was at first interested only in enhancing the area through boulevard improvements along Sheridan Road, Pratt Boulevard and Ashland Avenue. By 1905, however, public pressure had prompted the district to consider park development.
The North Shore Park District spent several years mulling its options. In 1909, at the urging of the Rogers Park Woman's Club, they determined to concentrate resources on purchasing land for a single beachfront park and boating basin known as North Shore Park. Shortly thereafter, noted landscape architect and engineer O.C. Simonds developed plans for a pier at the site, but these were never realized.
By 1917, the North Shore Park District had acquired more than nine acres of lakeshore property. A small field house, built in 1923, provided game and club rooms. Playfields were flooded for ice skating in winter; in 1929, the local American Legion post erected a shelter house for skaters.
The Chicago Park District took over in 1934. Several years later, local residents asked that North Shore Park be renamed. The Chicago Park District agreed, and held a contest to choose a new name.
Neighborhood residents favored the name Loyola Park, for nearby Loyola University. The Jesuits began to develop the university in 1906, when they purchased a 20-acre site between Devon and Loyola Avenues. During the 1930s, Loyola raised its neighborhood profile substantially by constructing a number of dramatic Art Deco buildings, including the Madonna della Strada Chapel.
Around 1950, the Chicago Park District more than doubled the size of Loyola Park and built a new field house with an adjacent grandstand. Another half-acre was added in 1971, bringing the size of Loyola Park to more than 21.5 acres.