5800 N Lake Shore Drive (map and directions)
Located near the Edgewater neighborhood, Kathy Osterman Beach is situated in the northernmost tip of Lincoln Park. Osterman Beach is sometimes called Ardmore Beach or Hollywood Beach because of its location near those streets.
In 2010, the Chicago Park District opened a new silver LEED-certified (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) beach house. This 2,750-square-foot comfort station reflects the traditional-style architecture inspired by turn-of-the-century Chicago Park District buildings.
A nearby natural area attracts migratory birds during spring and fall seasons.
Beach house and restrooms
- Life guard first aid station
Food and Beverage
Nacho Mama's Burrito Bar
19 PM - 8 PM
Water Sports and Recreation
Osterman Beach features an accessible beach walk and accessible restrooms.
Please follow the rules while you’re at the beach:
- Swim only when lifeguards are on duty.
- Follow lifeguards’ instructions.
- Only Coast Guard approved flotation devices are permitted.
- No smoking.
- No alcohol.
- No dogs on the beach.
- Do not feed birds or wildlife.
- Dispose of trash and recycling in appropriate containers.
- Grill in designated areas only and dispose of coals in red barrels.
- Keep accessible beach walks clear. No bicycling, skateboarding or rollerblading is permitted in these areas.
- Access to the Lake Michigan Water Trail for sports such as kayaking, canoeing and other non-motorized board or paddle sports is allowed at Osterman Beach near the street access of Ardmore or Thorndale. For more information, go to the rules page and download information on Lake Michigan water trails.
- Kiteboarding is not permitted at Osterman Beach; kiteboarding is ONLY permitted at Montrose Beach.
In 1993, Ardmore Beach was renamed in honor of Kathy Osterman (1943-1992), a dedicated public servant who was beloved by her community. Osterman served as an alderman for Edgewater, as President of the Edgewater Community Council and as Director of the Mayor's Office of Special Events.
The beach is part of Lincoln Park. Landfill created a surprising amount of Lincoln Park. The final landfill extension — between Foster and Ardmore Avenues — was completed in the 1950s. This fill included a new beach at Ardmore Avenue. Planning and design for the extension started in 1947, but construction and fill did not begin until three years later. The fill project continued over the majority of the decade, and finally finished in 1958.